InDesignLaying out Your Pages!
Five fantastic projects to go from Drab to Fab!
Most of us have had to create documents with text and pictures at some point in our lives. InDesign is the professional application for not only bringing text and images together, but also for creating layouts that allow for easier workflows, as well as designing publications for both digital and printed media. InDesign will enable you to create stunning visual, interactive documents for all devices to reach a broad audience. These lessons are specifically designed to help prepare you and your students for the Adobe Certified Associate Exam (ACA).
Queen of Print
I love focusing on big picture ideas and finding solutions.
Life is what you make of it!!
PROJECT 1 – EVENT POSTERProject 1 Files
Create an amazing Concert Poster image using Indesign and some BEAUTIFUL free assets we found on the web under CC license!
- 1-01 Meet Your New Partner :: Getting to know the interface
- 1-02 Let your Colors Bleed :: Setting up a new document, multiple pages
- 1-03 How many ways can I do one task? :: Meeting a few of the work crew (aka tools):: Frame, Pen, Gradient Swatch, Free Transform
- 1-04 Stacked Hamburger time :: Understanding and Setting up the layers
- 1-05 RGB, CMYK, ABC… What do these letters mean? :: Setting up the project :: colors, layout, planning
- 1-06 There are pictures, and there are frames :: Adding graphics – Understanding frame types
- 1-07 Laying a Strong Foundation :: Setting up the background
- 1-08 Set it to Motion, Creating Eye Movement Across a Page :: Working to create the pattern and burst
- 1-09 Bringing In Focus :: Placing color block and text
- 1-10 Kerning, Tracking, Leading, Oh My! Working with text
- 1-11 After a Little Guidance, It’s Time to Leave the Nest… Independent practice the skills, Adding the footer
- 1-12 Final touches :: Adding the accent stroke to the main block
- 1-13 Housecleaning time: Cleaning up the design, Decluttering the file, Deleting guides, Preparing for print
- 1-14 All tied up in a Pretty Bow, Time to Package it. Setting up for export, creating a package (contact name and file name)
PROJECT 2 – MAGAZINE COVERProject 2 Files
- 2-01 Getting our Brains In Gear :: Setting up our workspace
- 2-02 Creating the Architecture for the Layout :: Setting up the cover document
- 2-03 What’s In a Name? :: Placing and positioning the masthead text
- 2-04 Spot On! :: Adding the Cover image
- 2-05 Paint the Rainbow :: Creating a color palette
- 2-06 Content is King :: Adding cover lines
- 2-07 Improving the Workflow :: Using paragraph styles with cover lines
- 2-08 Grab their Attention :: Adding Puffs and Plugs
- 2-09 It’s the Small Stuff that Matters :: Paying attention to details
- 2-10 Flair?!? Who has the flair? :: Adding additional cover elements
- 2-11 Clearing the Dust :: Creating a preflight profile, Preparing for print
- 2-12 Export for Print :: Make a print-ready PDF
- 2-13 Ship the Magazine! (and everything that goes with it…) :: Packaging the project
PROJECT 3 – MENUProject 3 Files
- 3-01 The Client’s Requests :: Reviewing the job, expectations
- 3-02 Getting Crafty :: Getting fluent with doc creation
- 3-03 Strong Foundations :: Setting up the Master Page
- 3-04 Personality Profile :: Creating a theme
- 3-05 Why recreate the Wheel? :: Creating a Color Palette from existing graphics
- 3-06 Whatchya Servin’? :: Creating the main menu
- 3-07 Again, and again, and again :: Getting the stylizing right.
- 3-08 Sweep the Leg, Johnny! :: Tackling Text Wrap
- 3-09 Thank you, Sir. May I have another? :: Adding pages to the doc
- 3-10 Setting up Second Stage :: Creating another Master page.
PROJECT 4 – EVENT POSTERProject 4 Files
Coolest. Resume. Ever!!! Learn how to make it in this project!
- 4-01 I SPY Something Eye Catching! ::Looking at Objectives & Examples
- 4-02 This isn’t your mom’s 8-track :: Paragraph Styles and Tracking
- 4-03 Here’s the line-up :: Adding Section Headers and Alignment
- 4-04 Wasn’t Tab a soda pop in the 80’s? :: Customizing text
- 4-05 Hold the Phone. You just did what? :: Adding editable graphics from Illy
- 4-06 The Alt/Option key, your best friend :: Adding graphs and charts
- 4-07 What did you SPOT there? :: Spot color, Tints, and Icons
- 4-08 Rinse and repeat :: Applying those lines in different ways
- 4-09 Edward Scissorhands, eat your heart out :: Custom infographic circles
- 4-10 What we started with won’t be what we end with :: Customizing Graphic lines
- 4-11 Gestalt at work :: Cleaning up the pieces
PROJECT 5 – INTERACTIVE BOOKLETProject 5 Files
- 5-01 Getting into the Flow :: Setting up the Workspace for the Project
- 5-02 Tossing the pizza dough :: Getting the document and guides set up
- 5-03 How EASY is that?!? :: Paragraph styles & Importing the Library of graphics
- 5-04 No “Texting” and Driving… :: Creating Text Frames, Text Flow, and Drop Caps
- 5-05a The Ripple Effect and Heavy Lifting :: Editing the A-Master, Infographics, Part I
- 5-05b The Ripple Effect and Heavy Lifting :: Editing the A-Master, Infographics, Part II
- 5-06 It’s ART I tell ya! :: Creating Composition with Multiple Images and Videos
- 5-07 Throwing the Changeup :: Creating a Second Master Page
- 5-08 Everything Must Come to an End :: Building out the Cover and Final pages
- 5-09 Button, Button, Who’s got the Button? :: Creating buttons for your users, Adding Hyperlinks
- 5-10 Under the Macro Lens :: Customizing the Publication, Adjusting Video Settings
- 5-11 Let’s Finish This! :: Adding Bookmarks & Page Numbering, Exporting as a PDF (Interactive)