IllustratorA whole lot of Vector Love
Adobe Illustrator CC
The newest test for Certiport- Illustrator is also one of Rob’s favorite apps. Like many PhotoShop™ users, when first learning it- he was frustrated with the tools and the different way of working! But once a designer learns how incredible Illustrator is- that you get to actually build infinitely scale-able images from scratch- you’ll be hooked!
Looking for the classic tutorials? Check ’em out here.
Guy Who Knows Some Stuff
Rob is the guy behind this site and these projects. What started as a classroom experiment led to this whole site dedicated to teaching design concepts to students and individuals! He’s fascinated by design, creative solutions to unique problems, and community dynamics. Though a successful educator, author, designer, and consultant- he enjoys his work as a father, friend, and mentor the most.
Illustrator 1- Intro to Illy!
Get the low-down on Illustrator. How it works, how to set it up, and how to be super cool like me.
- Launch The App – Here’s how to get started and make it easier to find later!
- Interface Tweaks and Tips – Learn some secrets to make it easier to work in Illustrator.
- Tweaking some settings – Let’s get on the same page using tweaks I learned from my buddy Mike at the MacLab!
- Common probs – Understanding a couple things that mess people up in the beginning when following tutorials.
- Wrapup – recap the critical stuff.
Illustrator 2-Illustrator basics
Why are vectors so AWESOME? Watch this set of videos and learn the deepest secrets of they Ancient Egyptians and how they built pyramids. (OK, nothing about pyramids in here.. but it’s even BETTER!)
- 201- About Vectors– Why are vectors so stinkin’ amazing??? Find out here!
- 202- Text in Illustrator– Point type… the silly putty solution.
- 203- Area Type– Define your edges and make the text fall in place
- 204- Converting Point to Area Type- Text is allowed to change it’s mind… and it’s kind.
- 205- Aligning Type– Alignment and setting up for learning the Type Trinity!
- 206- Typography Trinity– Mike Skocko calls these 3 concepts the Type Trinity… KNOW THEM!
- 207- Review!– Get the review! KNOW THIS STUFF!!!
Illustrator 3- Creating a Logo
- 301- Creating a Logo – Create text, and then break it apart!
- 302- Negative Space– Look at what you didn’t create created! NEGATIVE SPACE FTW!!!
- 303- Getting Your Creative On– YOU ARE CREATIVE! Know it. Live it. Practice it. Design Synectics
- 304- Beware Isolation Mode– It helps a lot, unless it doesn’t. Learn what’s happening
- 305- Repeat!– One of these things are just like the other one. USE THAT!
- 306- Grouping– Learn to connect items that you want to stick together!
- 307- Look for Commonalities!– Experiment. It’s like legos- just build and see what happens.
- 308- Shape Builder!– Seriously, the coolest tool in the whole app.
- 309- Isolation Mode Again! – Because isolation happens. It’s confusing at first.
- 310-Iteration– The magic happens when you’re past your initial ideas!!!!
- 311- Iterative Ideas!– Another step away from initial ideas and you get something cool!
- 312-Lowercase Logos– Use every letterform! Dig deep for great ideas. (And interface trick at the end!)
- 313- More Thoughts on Logos–
- 314- SAVE IT!!– ALWAYS name it and have a place for everything!
Illustrator 4- Badges?? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges!
- 400- Designing Badges Intro- Badges??? We don’t need no stinking badges!!!
- 401- Ellipses– THERE ARE NO CIRCLES- only perfect ellipses.
- 402- Rectangles- Don’t be square- stretch yourself and be rectangular
- 403- Polygons and Stars– Let me make multiple points in this video…
- 404- Flare Tool– I know it looks cool- but it’s best in photoshop. DO NOT OVER USE!
- 405- Transform Tools– Flip it, and flip it good. And shear, rotate, move, and more!
- 406- Advanced Stroke– Customize your stroke for really cool effects- Dig Deep!!
- 407- Effects and Appearance– Working with effects and editing with the Appearance panel! IMPORTANT!
- 408- Zigzag Effects- Zigzag effect for great scalloped and zigzag edges
- 409- Type On Paths- Learn to type on a path!!! Creative lines of type!
- 410- Type on ANOTHER path!– Duplicate the path and text to get another set of text where you want it
- 411- Format your Center Letter– Formatting the center text of the badge
- 412- Convert To Outlines to share– Creating outlines for text and appearance to share without problems!
- 413- Create Symbol– Make this logo easily reusable as a symbol!
- 414- Save Your Work!– Saving your document so you can come back later and try more ideas!
- Illustrator 4×1- EXTRA Tip #1 – More cool ideas going way deeper with stroke!
- Illustrator 4×2- Bonus Video 2!!! – cool ideas on tabs and flags
- Illustrator 4×3 -Creating custom banners! And using WARP to create great effects!
Illustrator 5- Robot Guy!
- Illustrator 501 – Basic shapes and how to bend them to your will.
- Illustrator 502 – Getting lifelike (sketchlike?) lines in Illustrator
- Illustrator 503 – Arcs, eyes, and getting sketchlike.
- Illustrator 504 – Tweak and roughen to give your robot personality.
- Illustrator 505 – Work with objects the smartest ways to speed up your workflow.
- Illustrator 506 – Warp and simplify to make primitive shapes cleaner.
- Illustrator 507 – Colors, fill, stroke and rearranging objects.
- Illustrator 508 – Building irregular shapes from primitives.
- Illustrator 509 – Creating reflections using shades and tints.
- Illustrator 510 – Working more with colors and objects.
- Illustrator 511 – Rectangular grids for easy control panels. Break apart objects and load colors into your brush.
- Illustrator 512 – Add some text and settings to wrap up your image!
Illustrator 6- Trendy Design!
- Illustrator 6a – Set up your document for your trendy desisn
- Illustrator 6b – Creating 3D objects from text, and easy shortcuts for a unified look.
- Illustrator 6c – Mastering Color and color rules.
- Illustrator 6d – Maging color in your document and creating swatches.
- Illustrator 6e – Mapping art to 3D surfaces on your objects.
- Illustrator 6f – Creating custom symbols to add to your 3d Objects
- Illustrator 6g – Working with the pencil tool and customizing your strokes.
- Illustrator 6h – Creating custom brushes for your strokes.
- Illustrator 6i – Using pattern brushes to create complex objects using simple shapes.
- Illustrator 6j – Working with an organizing layers.
- Illustrator 6k – Creating a background and working with gradients.
- Illustrator 6l – Getting creative with grids and primitive objects.
- Illustrator 6m – Blends are AMAZING to play with! Use them to create excellent use of line!
- Illustrator 6n – Using effects on your objects- even Photoshop effects!
- Illustrator 6o – Saving your images and exporting in multiple formats.
Illustrator 7- Pen Mastery
SO FUN! I absolutely LOVE the pen tool… but at first it’s challenging. I kind of think it feels like learning a new sports game or FPS where you have to learn to hit a ball or throw an object… And for this project you’ll need some sample files you can get at the button below!Project Files
- AICS-700 – Intro to the tutorials
- AICS-701 – Using the Worksheets
- AICS 702 – Straight Lines
- AICS 703 – Wax On, Wax Off…
- AICS 704 – Use Save As…
- AICS 705 – Constraining Lines
- AICS 706 – Creating Shapes
- AICS 707 -How the Pen Tool Works
- AICS 708 – CMYK Wars
- AICS 709 – Curved Paths
- AICS 710 – Bouncing Paths
- AICS 711 – Luck and Love
- AICS 712 – The Maze
- AICS 713 – mangaman Intro
- AICS 714 – Mangaman Face and Using Layers
Illustrator 8- Self Portrait
The CAPSTONE!!! IF you can do this project- YOU KNOW THE PEN! It’s tough… and I strongly encourage you to use your own image!! It’s always fun to use your own face, and these days with smartphones it’s really easy to email yourself a selfie from your phone and get a digital image of your face! But if you can’t get one- here is an image of some super good-looking people you can use. 😉
- AICS 800 – Intro
- AICS 801 – Setup Your Document
- AICS 802 – Trace your Noggin.
- AICS 803 – Neck and Layers
- AICS 804 – Ears
- AICS 805 – Shadow Trick
- AICS 806 – Mouth
- AICS 807 – Teeth Layers
- AICS 808 – Layer Tips and Tricks
- AICS 809 – Eyes
- AICS 810 – Eyelashes
- AICS 811 – Girly Eyelashes
- AICS 812 – Nose
- AICS 813 – Illustrating Short Hair
- AICS 814 – Illustrating Medium or stranded hair
- AICS 815 – Cool new hair trick
- AICS 816 – Eyebrows
- AICS 817 – Wrinkles to add depth
- AICS 818 – Wrapping up shadowing!